Friday, December 23, 2011

One of the most important lessons to learn: Take What You Can Get!

My boyfriend is stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. I am currently visiting him right now and will be here until January 5th. This will be our first Christmas away from our hometown, and it seems a bit strange.
He was scheduled to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so he tried putting in leave for those days so he could spend both days with me in our hotel room. Well, it was denied. I will be spending 6am - 9pm alone in our  room both days. Of course, I am highly disappointed, but I'm still here. If I would not have been able to take the trip, we would be spending Christmas apart, and he would be completely alone without me or his family to spend the holiday with.

This is just another example of how some things don't happen the way we would like them to. I'm sure that all of the military spouses/girlfriends reading this have experienced something similar, so you can understand exactly how I'm feeling.

Instead of dwelling on the negative, I will be occupying my time with planning something very special for him when he comes back from work. I will be going out to get all of his favorite Christmas movies later on today, and calling his mom to walk her through the Skype downloading process so he can actually see his mom on Christmas. We have also been on a microwave diet since I got here because that's the only appliance our hotel room has, so I'm going to get the highest quality food that I can cook in a damn microwave. Another example of how we have to Take What We Can Get!

Christmas is a time to appreciate what you have. I am so thankful that I will be able to spend a couple hours of that day with my boyfriend because some ladies might only be getting a phone call, or maybe nothing at all. The greatest gift I can think of is being able to cuddle with him in front of the TV watching our favorite Christmas movies with microwaved food, marveling at our beautiful little Christmas tree, and family Skype dates.
Have a Merry Christmas everyone, and appreciate everything that you have during this holiday season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment